Sunday 2 September 2012

Friday 31 August.
When we woke it was sunny so decided to give Chester a miss (I didn't fancy the walk to the station and our bikes are welded now to the back of the boat). We knew that we had a flight of 19 locks to complete so we headed toward Wheelock where we stopped to get water etc. it was quite busy there with lots of boats all wanting water.  The boat in front of us had broken down so we helped him to moor (it was near the water point not the best idea but hey).  I started to clean the boat on the outside as she was very muddy and did not look her best.  (Normally everyone admores her.)  As we finished filling the boat I started to wash the soap off the boat when a boater asked me if I had finished, so I quickly stopped and we moored the other side of the broken boat.  We went to the shop.  There was a super pet supermarket. The only food shop was like Dev's on |Coranation Street,  So we just brought bread and milk.  When we walked back to the boat. The Boater who asked me to move was cleaning his boat using the water point.  I controlled myself and did not give him a piece of my mind.  But everyone was laughing at him which made me feel better.

We started our assault on the locks. They were in pairs side by side.  They were hard to manourvre but 2 young boys aged 10 started to help me, in fact they were most helpful for a few locks until they found a ride back down towards the village.  I ascertained that they were half Greek and had just come to England to live, from Greece.

All in all today I did 19 locks and walked around 4 miles at the same time. I went to bed at eight. We had to stop at Church Lawton, 3 locks from the end as I had run out of steam.  Had a large Gin and Tonic.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment